Featured Chicago Community of the Month: Brookfield
Today, we continue our look at outstanding Chicago area communities with the village of Brookfield. Located roughly 13 miles west of downtown Chicago, the village of Brookfield extends from 47th St. to W. 26th St. between Kemman Ave. and S. 1st Ave.
Home of the Brookfield Zoo
People often refer to Brookfield as the world's most visited village thanks to this world-class zoo located right in the neighborhood. It's not uncommon to hear an elephant's trumpet or a lion's roar when strolling through the village streets on a particularly quiet morning. How's that for an exciting neighborhood?
At the zoo, you can see and learn about an incredible range of exotic animals ranging from the southern hairy-nosed wombat to the African giant millipede and just about everything in between.
A Family Friendly Community
About Brookfield, the Chicago Tribune once wrote: "Friendliness and family orientation are two traits almost everyone in town highlights as primary reasons they like calling Brookfield home." They went on to say that Brookfield is a "community that puts family first, and quite possibly second, third and fourth as well." Although those words were written almost 25 years ago, they still hold true today.
With a population of just under 20,000 people, Brookfield features excellent schools, convenient transportation, and extensive parks and recreation programs. The bungalows and brick construction give the neighborhood a city feel, but children playing in their yards and friendly residents are still a common sight in this picturesque area.
More Things To Do And Places To See In Brookfield
- Zoo City Treats: what could be better following a visit to the zoo then some tasty sweet and savory treats like gourmet popcorn or yummy ice cream heaped inside a waffle cone topped with crushed M&Ms?
- For The Birds: if you're a bird enthusiast, you'll want to visit this store. Here, you'll find an excellent selection of bird houses, bird feeders, bird seeds and everything you need for bird watching
- The Galloping Ghost Arcade: with over 500 video pinball games, the galloping ghost arcade is the largest video arcade in the US. It’s the place to go for retro fun
- Irish Times Pub And Restaurant: take in the authentic atmosphere, sample the delicious Irish fare, and enjoy one of the many imported beers on tap at one of the Chicago area's most authentic Irish pubs
- Burger Antics: an award-winning burger bar who's creative concepts compete with the best burgers Chicago has to offer.